The SYLVANIA brand leadership results from legacy, which extends back to the dawn of the twentieth century, and points the way for continued success in years to come. Our company traces its roots back to 1901 when young entrepreneur Frank Poor became a partner in a small company in Middleton, MA, that renewed burned-out light bulbs. The company would buy an old bulb for a few cents, cut off the glass tip, replace the filament, and reseal the bulb. In recent decades, the company developed products with longer life, better light, and greater energy efficiency. Important advances were made in the development of discharge lamp technology. In the 1980s, the SYLVANIA OCTRON® fluorescent lamp and the DULUX® compact fluorescent lamp represented major innovations. OSRAM SYLVANIA was created in January 1993, when OSRAM GmbH acquired the SYLVANIA and precision materials businesses in North America from GTE.